- The Daisy World model is intended to illustrate a mechanism through which biota might optimize their environment by means of negative feedback. The model offers a very simplified approach to a feedback system and can provide an introductory lesson in how models work. The aim of the model is to implement and test a mathematical model describing possible influence of biota on an abiotic (climatic) system using GAWK and GNUPLOT. The model tests the hypothesis that biota can influence the planetary environment. This site contains the online model of Daisy World for use in introductory courses as well as an assignment based on the model.
- Middle School, High School, Community College / Lower Division, College / Upper Division
- Material Type:
- Interactive, Reading, Teaching/Learning Strategy
- Robert Mackay
- Science Education Resource Center (SERC) at Carleton College
- Provider Set:
- Starting Point (SERC)
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0
- Media Format:
- Interactive, Text/HTML, Other
No evaluations yet.
Add important feedback and this resource.